What is Coronavirus ?
Coronavirus, also called Covid-19, is a virus that is a part of a large family of viruses that can be found in humans, animals, birds, mammals. This type of virus causes zoonoses, ills that can be transmitted from animal to human. This type of virus can cause a common cold in humans, but can also progress to more severe diseases or in some cases even fatal diseases, such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) or Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).
This type of virus is a new one, unknown until this time and was first identified in December 2019, during a pneumonia outbreak in China in Wuhan City, Hubei Province. However Covid-19 has epidemiological characteristics similar to the diseases mentioned above: MERS-CoV and SARS.
The virus manifests through nasal leaks, sore throats, coughs, fever. This type of virus can be even more acute in some people, thus causing pneumonia or breathing difficulties. More vulnerable in the case of this virus may be people with medical conditions (diabetes, heart) or older people.
The incubation period of this virus varies, approximately being 3-14 days, so we cannot detect from the beginning whether this is a simple common cold or it is Covid-19. That is why it is recommended to pass a specialized laboratory test to identify with certainty what the disease is.
How the Coronavirus is transmitted ?
The virus usually spreads through contact with an infected person, namely by inhaling the particles from the cough, sneezing, nasal secretions, saliva drops. Studies have shown that the virus is active in the air for about 30 minutes in confined spaces and also the infection capacity is about 4-5 meters after a person sneezes or coughs. The coronavirus can also be transmitted by contact with some surfaces on which it is located. Thus, if we touch some infected surfaces and then touch the face, there is a major risk of being infected by coronavirus.
Remedies to avoid infection with Coronavirus
- To wash our hands with soap more often or to disinfect them with alcohol-based solutions;
- To avoid contact with persons suspected of acute respiratory infections;
- To avoid touching with hand the face, mouth, nose, eyes... ;
- To cover the nose and mouth with the elbow during coughing or sneezing;
- To avoid the administration of antiviral or antibiotic medicines if they have not been prescribed by the doctor;
- To clean all surfaces with a solution based on alcohol or chlorine;
- To ventilate daily the rooms in which we are and to maintain the temperature of 18-22 degrees inside;
- To use the protective mask in cases of helping a sick person or only if you suspect that you are ill;
- Call specialist help teams if you have a fever, cough or have returned from quarantine areas in Europe for at least 14 days or if you returned from China;
- Avoid trips for the time being, in order to avoid coronavirus infection.
There is still no Coronavirus Vaccine. No specific treatment for this virus has been established, but doctors can help ease the symptoms through certain medicine. It is also recommended to drink a lot of liquids and rest.
*affected areas, Coronavirus cases, Active cases, Closed Cases, Deaths... are updated online and you can follow them on the link: Corona Virus Cases